Thursday, July 14, 2011

Crazy People

I don't know what it is about this office, but for some reason we attract some of the strangest people. It's as if the crazies see the orange sign and say 'Ooh, a dentist! That looks like someone I can bother! Let's do it!'. And I literally think some of these people are mental. They think the things they say and the manner in which they present themselves is remotely appropriate. Well I'm sorry to tell you Crazy, but you are mistaken. The world does not revolve around you, unfortunately.

Crazy #1 enters the office, saying she has an NHS appointment on Wednesday, the only day we see NHS patients, but she wants an earlier appointment. I explain that we can see her privately for £20 if she'd like, give her some options, and she seems excited. But oh no, Crazy #1 has no money now! She'll get back to me when she has money. Why people think they can get treatment for free, baffles me. Would you go to the hair salon, have your hair cut, colored and shampooed, and then expect to just walk out without paying? I don't think so. This is not a charity. Rule #1- if you can't pay, don't bother coming in!

Enters Crazy #2. Crazy #2, a young eastern European man, requests an appointment for an extraction. I ask if he is in pain, he says no, and I explain that the Dentist has to do an exam to assess the situation first, and then will determine if an extraction is the best course of treatment. He explains in an overly confident tone that he's done this before, and the tooth must be extracted, as it is a wisdom tooth and it is crowding his teeth. I politely reply that the Dentist must examine the situation first and see if he needs an extraction, and will go from there. He scoffs that the Dentist just wants to make more money, and I put a smile on and kindly reply (holding my anger behind my teeth) by explaining that he is not trying to make more money, but it is in fact the law to examine the patient first before following through with treatment. He backs off, and makes the appointment. Why people think that they know exactly what their course of treatment should be, when they barely even have a high school diploma, is beyond me. Rule # 2- if you are not a dentist, do not determine your own course of treatment. Morons.

Enters Crazy #3. An horrendous odorous cloud of smoke fills the waiting room, as a man leans over my desk, into my personal space, clutching his face. I begin mouth breathe as the wretched odor triggers my gag reflex. I politely ask how can I help him, and he mumbles that he'd like an appointment and he thinks he has an abscess (again, breaking Rule #2). I book him in for today for an exam, and he runs out the door, before I could get his name or any other details. Hopefully he'll show. Rule #3 If you are going to the dentist, refrain from clouding your mouth with nauseating odors such as cigarettes, garlic, onions, etc...

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment