I've been working in Hammersmith for about a month, and every morning on my way to work from the tube there is something new to see. While the neighborhood remains rather stagnant, and I am forever in the flow of traffic with people hurrying to work, there is one thing that is changing on an almost daily basis. I work around the corner from an ominous looking performing arts center, and for some reason they attract the most diverse melange of performers. One day I see the marquis reading 'Ozzy Osborne' while the next it says 'Steve Martin', followed by his Latin relative 'Ricky Martin'. I'm looking forward to later this month when Ke$ha comes to town. Unfortunately performers I'd actually have any desire to see, such as Adele, are playing after I leave. Obviously.
But alas, while stars are playing on the big stage around the corner, I am here in my quaint dental office, looking into the mouths of strangers and trying to avoid getting spit on as patients spit mouthwash out of their mouths into the cuspidor only inches from my face. Yesterday was a rather exciting day as I got to dental nurse (albeit for about 5 minutes). While I was watching a filling be done, the nurse left the room for only a second, as as the Dentist chanted 'suction' I looked to my left, and then to my right, and realized she was talking at me, the girl who usually just stands and watches, hoping just to get a glimpse of something remotely exciting. I grabbed the large suction, and went right in. It may not sound as exciting to the average person, who finds dentistry revolting, but for me, it was the highlight of my day. I even got to cure a filling with the light a few times!
The last case was one of the most exciting I've seen in a while. The patent had a stub of a tooth that was nearly gnawed down to the bone, and the dentist literally built it up into a solid tooth. It was one of the front teeth and the dentist began by cleaning out the area, similar to a root canal treatment. She then built up layer upon layer of felling to create a base. And finally she made a temporary crown to put on the tooth. I also got to cure some of the layers of composite on the tooth with the light, which was pretty exciting.
One of the best parts about working with this dentist in particular is I get to work in the presence of celebrities. Well, sort of. For some reason this Dentist loves watching performing artist tour videos. As I stand towering over a patient with their mouth wide open in the chair, Shakira is on the television screen belly dancing and singing her heart out. So far I've gotten to see shows with Beyonce, Madonna, Britney Spears, and Shakira. Although I'm not actually watching them live, like my neighbors around the corner, watching them does serve as some sort of inspiration. Though we're not all on stage, we all are performers in one sense or another. We perform in our jobs, school, relationships, constantly trying to do better than we did before. Hopefully some day I'll get to perform on my own make shift stage, making teeth from scratch just like I saw yesterday.
Cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment